Laboratory 14 "Radiation and energy technology research"
The laboratory was established in 1992 with the formation based on “Nuclear Energy Institute” BSSR “Institute for Energy Problems,” National Academy of Sciences as a laboratory, “Physics and Technology Studies”, then renamed in laboratory bio-energy resources and technologies to assess and safe use in energy resources biofuels, including contaminated with radionuclides of Chernobyl origin. Renamed in 2006 in the lab, “Radiation and energy technology research,” in connection with the creation of the Belarusian nuclear power plant and the expansion of research tasks.
Dr. Vitaliy Solovyev
Tel.: +375 (17) 3911487; mobile: +375 (29) 6497897
Fax: +375 (17) 3911335
Main research fields
Research of radionuclides interaction in solid and gaseous phases during pyrolysis, gasification and burning of biofuel and local types of fuel contaminated by radionuclides of Chernobyl origin.
Investigation of formation mechanism of radioactive dispersion-aerosole inclusions in waste gases while thermochemical processing of solid types of fuel and waste contaminated by radionuclides; investigation of waste gases purification.
Study of radiation characteristics of fuel combustion installations, ash waste and activity release into environment during utilization of biofuel and local types of fuel contaminated by radionuclides at power facilities of the Republic of Belarus.
Justification of ash waste and solid combustible radioactive NPP waste management technologies including thermochemical reprocessing, waste conditioning and gases purification.
Current projects (2011-2015)
State program for scientific research «Power Engineering, Nuclear and Radiation Technologies”
- study of radiation indicators and working out of the elements of technologies for safe burning of peat and fuel compositions contaminated by radionuclides at power and heat generating installations;
- development and justification of procedures on reduction of emission of radionuclides with combustion gases into the environment while burning of local fuels contaminated by radionuclides at industrial and power facilities of the Republic of Belarus and cost reduction on ash waste management.
Belorussian Republican Fund of Basic Research:
- theoretical and experimental research on reduction of Сs-137 emission into the atmosphere during combustion of contaminated solid fuel through exciting of thermoacoistic self-oscillations.
State program “Scientific Support of Power Engineering Development in the Republic of Belarus for 2009-2010 and for the period up to 2020”. Activity # 4. “Adaptation and Enhancement of the Technology of Radioactive Waste and Spent Nuclear Fuel Management”. Participation in fulfilling of the stages 4.1.3, 4.1.4.
Expert examination of the documents justifying nuclear and radiation security in the course of carrying out of activities in the field of power energy use at the site of nuclear facilities placement (units # 1 and # 2 of Belorussian NPP) sections “Ventilation Systems” and “Electric Systems”.
TThe most significant results over the last 5 years
Technological regulations (recommendations for elaboration) for radioactive ash waste management during application of wood fuel from contaminated territories at industrial heating boiler houses and mini thermal power plants (were elaborated by the laboratories 14 and 15 together with other executive administrations and institutions).
Device for metered flow of bulk materials: patent 7090 Republic of Belarus International Patent Classification G01F 13/00/ L.Bida, V.Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov, L. Khilko; applied 12.08.2010; published 28.02.2011.
Guidelines for risk reduction of radioactive ash waste formation at power facilities of the State Production Association “Belenergo” while burning of peat and wood chips contaminated by radionuclides. They are being applied at the Rechytsa Thermal Power Plant of the Republican Unitary Enterprise “Gomelenergo”.
International cooperation – with the Joint Institute for High Temperatures of Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow) on the joint project “Theoretical and Experimental Research on Reduction of Сs-137 Emission into the Atmosphere During Combustion of Contaminated Solid Fuel Through Exciting of Thermoacoistic Self-oscillations”.
Justification of properties and compound of fuel compositions based on biofuel and peat contaminated by radionuclides with sorbents for safe utilization at the industrial and power facilities of the Republic of Belarus.
Search of possibilities to use ash waste after combustion of mixed compositions including those contaminated by radionuclides in the national economy; working out of proposals on ash waste recycling and (or) safe handling.
Development of guidelines for safety enhancement of fuel combustion facilities in Belarus which work on local fuel contaminated by radionuclides and for cost reduction of ash waste handling.
Fulfillment of pre-project work on justifying of technologies and equipment of a sector for thermal processing and conditioning of combustible solid radioactive waste of the long-term storage (disposal) at the Belorussian NPP’s radioactive waste disposal facility.
List of more significant publications
1. V. Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov, N. Kuzmina, A. Levchuk. Migration of Cs137 in a setting of a boiler working on wood fuel contaminated by radionuclides // News (Vesti) of NASB. Series of Physical-Technical Sciences. – 2011. – № 3 – P. 79 – 82.
2. Labour protection, technical and economic aspects of ash waste treatment at boiler installations working on wood fuel contaminated by radionuclides / V. Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov [and other] // Herald of Polotsk State University. Series F. Construction. Applied Sciences. Engineering Networks and Ecology. – 2011. – № 16. – P.111 – 117.
3. I. Kapustina, V. Solovyev, G. Fokina, A. Levchuk. Immobilization of low-active and medium-active radioactive waste // News (Vesti) of NASB. Series of Physical-Technical Sciences. – 2012. – № 3. – P. 86 – 92.
4. I. Kapustina, V. Solovyev, G. Fokina, A. Levchuk. Study of possibilities of magnesium mineral matrix obtaining on the base of dolomite for radioactive waste immobilization // News (Vesti) of NASB. Series of Physical-Technical Sciences. – 2012. – № 4. – P. 17 – 23.
5. Vibrating combustion as a perspective option of recycling of wood fuel contaminated by radiocaesium / Y. Polezhaev, V. Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov [and other] // Journal of Engineering Physics. – 2013. – V. 86, № 1. – P. 145-151.
6. Regulation of utilization of wood fuel contaminated by radioactive substances at huge power facilities / А. Michalevich, V. Solovyev [and other] // Quality, Standardization, Control: Theory and Practices: Materials of the 11th International Scientific and Practical Conference, Crimea, Yalta, September 26–28, 2011 / АТМ of Ukraine. – Kiev, 2011. – P. 99–100.
7. Rationing of wood raw materials use as a fuel from contaminated areas. / I. Pleshchankov, N. Kuzmina [and other] // Quality, Standardization, Control: Theory and Practices: Materials of the 11th International Scientific and Practical Conference, Crimea, Yalta, September 26-28, 2011 / АТМ of Ukraine. – Kiev, 2011. – P. 128–129.
8. Ecological aspects of combustion of wood fuel contaminated as a result of accidents / V. Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov [and other] // Reliability and Safety of Major Pipeline Transport: Materials of VII International Scientific and Technical Conference. – Novopolotsk: PSU, 2011. – P. 237–239.
9. V. Solovyev, I. Pleshchankov. Concentration of 137Cs in fly ash after combustion of local fuel contaminated by radionuclides // Nuclear Technologies of XXI century: Collection of Reports of III International Conference and Republican Scientific Workshop “Nuclear Radiation Technologies”, Minsk, October 23 – 26, 2012 / JIPNR – Sosny of NASB. – Minsk, 2012. – P. 91–97.
10. Estimation of wood fuel resource from contaminated areas of Gomel and Mogilev regions of Belarus / V. Solovyev, L. Bida, N. Kuzmina, A. Levchuk, I. Pleshchankov, G. Fokina, L. Karbanovich // Alternative Sources of Raw Materials and Fuel: Collection of Scientific Papers of IV International Scientific and Technical Conference, Minsk, May 28–30, 2013. – Minsk, 2014. – Edition 1. – P. 136 – 145.
11. About emission of 137Cs into the atmosphere as a result of contaminated solid fuel combustion under static layer and gas-dynamic pulsations/ V. Solovyev, L. Bida, I. Pleshchankov, A. Levchuk, G. Fokina // Nuclear Technologies of XXI century: Collection of Reports of International Conference. – Minsk: Law and Economics, 2014. – P. 140 – 144.
12. Reducing the emission of 137Cs in the atmosphere from the combustion of solid fuels contaminated with radionuclides in the conditions of excitation of thermoacoustic self-oscillations and pulsations of gas-dynamic / Polezhaev, Solovyov VN, Pleschankov IG [et al.] // Journal of Engineering Physics. -, 2015. – T. 88, № 2. – S.364-370.