Laboratory of simulations and supercomputing technologies in nuclear physics and energetics # 30
The laboratory was established in July 2012. The Data Center is created in the laboratory. There are Supercomputer K-500, Storage System, Network Equipment. Supercomputer and the software allows to carry out precise modeling of neutron-physical characteristics of nuclear facilities.
Dr. Leonid BABICHEV
Tel.: +375 (17) 3911447
Fax: +375 (17) 3911335
The basic directions of scientific and technical activity:
- simulation of nuclear facility, the safety analysis of nuclear facilities at all stages of the life cycle;
- development of supercomputing and grid computing for modeling in nuclear physics and high energy physics;
- research in nuclear physics, particle physics and the physics of the interaction of radiation with matter;
- development of methods and means of information-analytical and computational maintenance work to ensure the safety of nuclear facilities.
The main projects carried out in the laboratory:
The laboratory participates in the implementation of State programs of research:
- State Program “Scientific support of the development of nuclear energy in the Republic of Belarus for 2011 – 2012 and for the period up to 2020″
Task 13. Development of scientific and technical support for nuclear and radiation safety on the base of the Joint Institute for Power and Nuclear Research – Sosny.
- State research program “Nuclear energy, nuclear and radiation technologies”
Task 3.122. Simulation of physical processes in the core monitoring system, the sensors and advanced materials in terms of neutron irradiation
Task 3.128. Usage supercomputer technologies for calculation and analysis of collective effects in collisions of particles and nuclei by means Monte Carlo methods
The works on the project of the Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research:
- Contract with BRFFR T12M-078 “Calculation of concentrations and isotopic composition of transuranic elements in nuclear fuel using supercomputing and grid computing”.
Also laboratory is working on the information activities of the Institute, including:
- Provides a secure authorized remote access to stored information and computer resources;
- Carries out the construction, reconstruction, repair, development and modernization of information and computing infrastructure;
- Execute the design, development and operation of computer systems, including the use of information security.
The laboratory has powerful state-of-art computer programs (codes) developed by leading institutes of different countries to assess safety of different nuclear –hazardous systems. These codes are:
- MCU A universal computer code for simulation of particle transport (neutrons, photons, electrons, positrons) in three-dimensional systems by means of the Monte Carlo method;
- SERPENT A three-dimensional continuous-energy Monte Carlo reactor physics burnup calculation code;
- DYN3D This program is intended to research transients and emergency operation modes of WWER reactors in three-dimensional geometry;
- ATHLET, ATHLET/CD computer codes for thermal and hydraulic processes modeling in RF;
- ASTEC integral computer code to analyze accidents with severe core damage;
- COCOSYS computer codes for modeling of emergency processes progress in the containment.