Laboratory 6 "Radionuclide (metal ion) species in solution"
Laboratory was created in 1969 in the Institute of Nuclear Energy of BSSR Academy of Sciences.
Mrs. Valentina TOROPOVA
Tel.: +375 (17) 3911845
Fax: +375 (17) 3911335
Main research fields:
Laboratory main research field is the study of radionuclide (metal ions) species in solutions and environmental objects. The aim is the creation of effective ways for solution of various ecological problems.
- Radionuclide (metal ions) species in solution.
- Metal ion hydrolysis (interaction with water) in aqueous solution with the formation of mononuclear and polynuclear hydroxo complexes.
- Influence of different factors on metal ion hydrolysis: solution pH, temperature, radionuclide concentration, concentration and chemical nature of complexing agents (NO3-, ClO4-, Cl-, SO42-, PO43-, CO32-, C2O42-, EDTA ect.), presence and nature of foreign cations in solution.
- Investigation of polunuclear hydroxo complexes composition, structure and charge.
- Radionuclide species in soils.
- Radionuclide sorption-desorption behaviour in “water-soil” system.
Our research results were successfully used for solving the number of applied problems by various enterprises and organizations.
Applied research fields:
- Development of liquid radioactive waste and waste water treatment methods.
- Development of decontamination methods for different surfaces contaminated with radionuclides.
- Development of the effective technology for heavy metal removal from industrial waste water.
- Development of compositions for cleaning heat-and-power equipment from ferric-oxide, carbonate, silica, oil-greasy, paint contaminations.
- Water conditioning in industrial and communal sphere.
Projects and scientific programs:
- The state program “Scientific follow-up of development of nuclear energy in Republic of Belarus for 2009-2010 and until 2020″: Development of combined technology of liquid radioactive waste management, novel decontamination compositions for NPP premises and equipment; water conditioning for NPP.
- The sate program “Nuclear-physical technologies for economy of Belarus”: Development and adoption of isotope technologies. Development of liquid radioactive waste treatment technologies generating by scientific and isotope production activity. Development decontamination compositions for equipment and premises of isotope production facilities.
- Programs relating to creation of mobile NPP: decontamination of loop and premises; LRW treatment (replacement of evaporation method); radioactive waste burial.
- Liquidation of consequences of Chernobyl NPP disaster (“dry” decontamination method, analysis of rdionuclide content and decontamination of soils, LRW treatment).
- Programs of Belarusian Republican Foundation for Fundamental Research.
- Program “Reliability and Safety”: Development of methods for ecological safety of complex composition industrial waste waters.
- Energetics: Development of scientific basis for creation of environmental proof energy sources and energy-efficient heat exchange technologies.
- Hydrogen-07: The search of catalysts for electrochemical hydrogen generation.
- Energy safety: Compositions for cleaning heat-and-power equipment.
- 2010-2012 – International partner project ISTC В-1786 “Pilot installation for development of technologies for water treatment”.
- 2004-2007 – International project ISTC В-859 “Combined technology for radioactively contaminated soil remediation based on application of hydroseparation, chemical leaching and addition of natural organic and mineral absorbers”.
- 2006-2008 – Project ISTC №3549 “Development and demonstration of a methodology and software for risk-based land use planning and decision support”;
- 2004 – Visby programme (Sweden) – agreement of science-technical cooperation in the field of fundamental solution chemistry.
- 2004-2005 – INTAS YS Fellowship “The study on hydrolysis of Cr(III) cations in solution with formation of polynuclear hydroxo complexes and effect of complexing anions on this process”.
- 2003-2007 – IAEA Research Co-ordination Project “New developments and improvements in processing of “problematic” radioactive waste streams”.
- 2001 – NATO Science for Peace programme “Regeneration of waste hydrochloric acid solutions containing iron and zinc ions from zinc plating plants”.
- 2000 – programme with «Institute of ecological and technical problems», Moscow, RF. “Development of technologies for treatment of LRW with different composition”.
- 1998-2001 – European Commission INCO-Copernicus programme, project “Highly versatile but sustainable processes for the removal of radionuclides from radioactive waste”.
- 1997 – Research project with Livermore National Laboratory (USA IPP programme) “Use of the Regularity of Chemical Behavior of Ferrous Salts in Aqueous Solutions for Liquid Waste Treatment Processes”.
- 1994-1998 – IAEA Research Co-ordination Project “New methods and techniques for decontamination in maintenance or decommissioning operations”.
- 1994-1998 – Experimental Collaboration Project ECP-4 DECONTAMINATION STRATEGY. EC-CIS Collaboration Program. CEC, DG-XII.
Center for optimisation of water and waste water technologies
Center for optimisation of water аnd waste water technologies was created within ISTC project В-1786 «Pilot installation for development of technologies for water treatment» with the aim of development, optimization and expertise of water conditioning and waste water treatment technologies.
Center for optimization of water technologies provides consulting service in the market of water conditioning and waste water treatment. The center brought together professionals: researchers, engineers and managers, specializing in following fields:
- water conditioning;
- industrial waste water treatment;
- back water cycles
- boiler water;
- removal of sediments from equipment.
Center possesses all necessary laboratory equipment and pilot installation, which consists of separate units, simulating all known processes used for water conditioning and waste water treatment.
The pilot installation is used for testing of different water treatment technologies:
- Phase separation (flotation, sedimentation etc.)
- Mechanical filtration
- Sorption processes (carbon, ion-exchange etc.)
- Membrane processes (micro-, ultra-, nanofitration, RO)
- RedOx processes (UV, Ozone, electrooxidation etc.).
Our center provides following services:
- Development, optimization and demonstration of water conditioning and waste water technologies;
- Testing of technologies and materials (sorbents, reagents, membranes etc.)
- Technical audit of industrial water cycle;
- Development of technicalrules and regulations;
- Economic substantiation of thechology, equipment and material choice;
- Development and substantiation of automation schemes and programs;
- Short-time educational courses for technical and engineering staff, staff qualifying;
- Equipment service: water control and chemical cleaning of equipment.
Our pilot installation allows technology testing, comparison of different technologies and substantiation of operating costs in laboratory scale and on-site.
Liquid radioactive waste treatment installation
LRW treatment installation is a complex of treatment modules, tanks for initial LRW, concentrated LRW and pure water, cementation module, automation. Also there is a transport tank for delivery of low-level LRW to installation.
LRW treatment installation consists of several modules which can be used in different technological schemes:
- · Coarse mechanical filtration
- · Coagulation
- · Fine mechanical filtration
- · Sorption (selective sorbents, activated carbon, ion-exchange resins)
- · Microfiltration
- · Reverse osmosis
The experimental batch of LRW (volume 50 m3) was treated using the installation.
Effective decontamination coatings
Effective decontamination compositions were created in the laboratory. This compositions provide methods of “dry” decontamination and contamination prevention with the use of polymeric films and pastes:
- decontamination of NPP or isotope production facilities equipment and premises;
- preserving and decontamination of agricultural machines and transport;
- decontamination of building materials;
- decontamination of industrial ventilation systems.
Efficiency of decontaminating cleaning compositions applied the building materials: field tests were made in Halch village (Belarus ).
Protection and decontamination of machines:
Decontamination of ventilation systems using special pastes : Gomel (Belarus)
Research results were published in 200 scientific papers: 2 books, more than 20 patents, journal articles, conference reports.
- Davydov Yu. P. The state of radionuclides in solutions”, 1978, USSR and 1986, Japan
- Davydov Yu. P., Davydov D. Yu. The forms of metal ions (radionuclides) in solution, 2011, Belarus.
- А. I. Rat’ko, A. I. Ivanets, I. O. Sakhar, D. Yu. Davydov, V. V. Toropova, A. V. Radkevich. A Sorbent Based on Natural Dolomite for Recovery of Cobalt Radionuclides / Radiochemistry, 2011, Vol. 53, No. 6, pp. 633–637.
- Davydov Yu. P., Toropova V.V. NPP liquid radioactive waste treatment / Energy strategy. №8, 2010.
- D. Yu. Davydov, A. V. Radkevich, L. M. Zemskova. Choice of Optimal Conditions for the Recovery of Fe(III) Radionuclides from Solutions / Radiochemistry, Vol.52, 2010, p. 424.
- N. Torapava, A.Radkevich, D. Davydov, A. Titov, I. Persson. Composition and Structure of Polynuclear Chromium(III) Hydroxo Complexes / Inorg. Chem. 2009, 48, 10383–10388.
- D. Davydov, A. Titov, N. Toropova The effect of complexing anions on the formation of polynuclear hydroxocomplexes of Cr(III) in aqueous solution / // Journal of molecular liquids. – 2007. – Vol.131-132. – P.168-172.
- Yu.P.Davydov,V.N.Zabrodsky, D.Yu.Davydov The state of Cr(III) radionuclide in solution / Radiochemistry, 2006, Vol.48, #4, pp.327-330.
- Yu.P.Davydov, I.G.Toropov Effect of cations on the process of cation hydrolysis with formation of polynuclear hydroxocomplexes in solution / Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, 2005, Vol. 50, №7, pp. 1199-1203.
- D.Yu.Davydov, Yu.P.Davydov, I.G.Toropov, J.John, K.Rosikova, A.Motl, M.Prazska Development of a method for regeneration of spent electrochemical decontamination solution on the basis of data on speciation of radionuclides in solution / Czechoslovak Journal of Physics, Vol.53 (2003), Suppl.A.
- D.Yu. Davydov, N.E. Prokshin, I.G. Toropov, Yu.P.Davydov Application of radioactive anions for determination of polynuclear complexes charge / Czechoslovak Journal of Physics, Vol. 49 (1999), Suppl. S1, pp.909-913
- Toropov, I.G., Davydov, Yu.P., Toropova, V.V., Satsukevich, V.M. Hydrolysis of Th4+ Cations in Solutions, Accompanied by Formation of Polynuclear Hydroxo Complexes / Russ. J. Inorg. Chem.
Vol. 41, Issue 1, 1996, Pages 121-124
1. The method of obtaining of aqueous electrolyte. Patent of Belarus № 11109, 24.06.2008.
2. The method of obtaining hydrogen. Patent of Belarus № 12146. 21.04.2009
3. The method of iodine radionuclides removal from solution. Patent of Belarus № 8275, 04.04.2006.
4. The method of regeneration of low level radioactive decontamination solution. Patent of Belarus № 6406, 14.04.2004.
5. The method of liquid radioactive waste treatment. Patent of Belarus № 2651, 25.09.1998.
The method of radionuclide removal from soil. Patent of Belarus № 1867, 15.05.1997.
6. Composition for decontamination of equipment from components and fission products of nuclear fuel. Patent of Belarus №2630, 24.09.1998.
7. Composition for decontamination of equipment from the components of nuclear fuel. Patent of Belarus №2047, 15.10.1997.
At the present moment the laboratory is working within following projects:
- Partner project ISTC B1786 «Pilot installation for development of technologies for water treatment». UK Closed Nuclear Cities Partnership. Partner – Department of Energy and Climate Change, UK.
– Preparation of Union State Programme “Decontamination and radioactive waste treatment generating by NPP”, code «NPP wastes». Partner – V.G. Khlopin Radium Institute, RF.